Thursday, May 19, 2011

Shredded Chicken Tacos

I've been watching the Food Network Channel this month. They kept talking about soul food being the foods that remind you of home and childhood. I have a couple foods that are my soul foods and tacos are right up at the top. I stopped eating beef after my first pregnancy left me with a red meat aversion I never fully got over, so I use chicken or pork whenever I can. You'll need to prepare ahead at least 4 hours for this one. 

Ingredients:
Chicken
Enough chicken to fill your crockpot.
2 cups free range chicken broth (Swanson's has soy in it.)
I can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 tsp basil
2 minced cloves of garlic
Tortillas
2 cups gluten free masa mix
1 cup hot water

Directions:
1. Fill your crockpot with chicken. Add in broth. Set on highest setting. Walk away. 

2. 3-4 hours later, or about an hour before you want to eat, shred the chicken. If it isn't easy to pull apart, you came back too soon. Do not drain broth. Add in garlic, basil, tomatoes and onions. Re-cover and start making your tortillas. 

3. The directions to making the tortillas are on the flour bag. But here are a couple hints. You want your dough a little more damp than dry. Make sure you have a few brown spots on the skillet side before you turn it over. Wrap finished tortillas tightly in a towel to trap in heat to make them pliable. 

4. Stuff tortillas with chicken mix, and top with cheese and your favorite taco toppings. Yum!

You can also use leftovers to make tostadas the next day for lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you buy gluten free masa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Toucan Market. There was a gluten free masa on the bottom row of the flour aisle.

    ReplyDelete