Thursday, May 19, 2011

Asparagus Casserole


I know this picture doesn't look the best. But I'm finding casseroles rarely look appetizing in photographs. Let me assure you, this was delicious! I made enough to have leftovers for lunch the next day.
Yeah.
We didn't have any leftovers. 
My girls gave me and my husband a run for our money. 

Initially, I planned on making brown rice to pair with this. 
However, even the best laid plans fall through when you ruin pot after pot of rice. 
I have a personal vendetta against brown rice now. 
One day, I swear I will come out victorious. 
But for now, I admit defeat so the casserole stood alone.

No one cared though. 
In fact, I think rice might have ruined it.

This was our dinner, but I think it could be an excellent breakfast as well.

Ingredients:
2 bundles fresh asparagus (1.5-2 lbs. asparagus. Chopped in 1" pieces)
1 cup chopped spinach
1/4 cup chives
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
6 eggs
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Layer prepared asparagus on the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer mushrooms, chives, onion and cheese. If you use sharp cheddar, you can get away with using less cheese for the same amount of flavor. Cover with spinach.

2. Whisk eggs, milk, cream, and lemon juice in a bowl for 5 minutes. Pour on top of spinach layer. Smooth  the top so that egg mix and spinach is distributed evenly. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until casserole is not jiggly like uncooked eggs. Then add just a sprinkling of cheese and broil for 3-5 minutes.

3. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. A poor functioning thyroid will not convert calories into energy, and store them as fat in your whole body. Natural thyroid supplements help the thyroid gland to function properly.

    ReplyDelete