Monday, May 9, 2011

The Gluten-Thyroid Disconnection

So what's the deal with gluten? Apparently a lot. At this food allergy test  the symptoms of gluten intolerance include constipation, gas, brain fog, fatigue, depression and weight gain. Sound familiar? If you're like me and you continued to have all these symptoms even though your blood tests come back normal for the dose you are on, a gluten sensitivity makes a compelling case.

Blood tests, however, will not confirm a gluten sensitivity. So, how do you know if you are sensitive to gluten? The easiest way is to go off of it. Conduct a personal experiment. Here's the thing, because of the binding properties, gluten is in just about everything pre-prepared. Normally you think of breads and pastas, because gluten is the protein in wheat. But this isn't the case. You can find them in things as commonplace and bread-less as salad dressings and lunch meat. Its presence is as pervasive as being in sauces, condiments, chicken nuggets and french fries. Not to mention cereals and common grains, even candy! The key to trying it out is to try eating completely fresh foods. Foods in their natural state that will naturally not have gluten. If, after some time you find your symptoms disappear like I did, then add it back in your diet. If your symptoms reappear, it's very likely you have a gluten sensitivity.

Some other thoughts and links on gluten to consider.
1. "Of perhaps greatest importance to thyroid patients, the researchers found that the various antibodies that indicate celiac disease- organ-specific autoantibodies, (i.e. thyroid antibodies)--will disappear after 3-6 months of a gluten-free diet."  The Celiac/Autoimmune Thyroid Connection
2."This means if you have AITD and you eat foods containing gluten, your immune system will attack your thyroid." The Gluten-Thyroid Connection
3. "The present results confirm that the frequency of subclinical coeliac disease is increased among patients with autoimmune thyroid disorders." European Journal of Endocrinology Study

As I understand it, not only does gluten inhibit absorption of nutrients but it can actually cause damage to the intestines, which would later lead to digestive disease. I'm still doing my research, and as I continue to find relevant information, I will add to this post. But there is enough for me to believe there could be a connection. And as many of my symptoms have disappeared from doing my best to avoid it, I'm prone to think going gluten-free is the way for me. It'll be difficult, to be sure. But I know it will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I ordered thyroid iodine supplements and found that it works great for me! I am 61 years old and I feel tired all the time. These little miracles have given me back a lot of the energy I need to get through the day at work.

    ReplyDelete