Thursday, May 19, 2011

Green Eggs and Salsa


I'm starting to find that most of my meals are accidental. I try to find recipes to fit what I have in my fridge,  because I mainly just shop what's on sale. I find when I buy what's in season I can stretch my dollar further. So, I'm usually missing several ingredients for most recipes I can find. But this meal was truly accidental, because I set out to make fried eggs, over easy. Since I was using leftover bacon grease, I didn't take the gristle in the fat into account and broke two yolks before I gave up and decided to go for scrambled eggs. I'd just been to the farmer's market for the first time the day before, (more on that experience later) and decided to try the greens with it. After tasting the eggs, spinach, chives, and cheddar cheese, it was still missing something. The zing of salsa made this breakfast. I like El Pinto's salsa best. It is  made fresh daily and canned for the masses. It's not loaded with preservatives and thickeners which often have gluten. You have to use it within one week of opening. Anyways, my husband, daughter and I were all full after our first servings and still wanted more. I've never seen a two year-old ask for "more green stuff" in their eggs. But mine did.   

So next time you break your egg yolks, toss in some fresh spinach, chives and cheddar cheese. Top it with salsa and have fun enjoying your taste buds shake maracas and dance the samba across your tongue!

No comments:

Post a Comment