Friday, May 6, 2011

Gluten Free Pizza Rolls


Every family has a favorite food. One of those foods that speaks to both your heart and your stomach. I think my Dad's pizza crust is one of those foods. Unfortunately, it's got gluten in it. So, I took the recipe and reworked it for me. I miiiiiiiiiiiiiight like this dough better. 
Wow.
I feel like I just committed mutiny by admitting that. 
Like I'm a traitor. 
But it's only because this one didn't tear me up afterwards. 
Anyways, you could use whatever toppings you like. I just used what I had on hand.
Disclaimer: I am not a professional. Before this experiment, my go-to method was pull something out of a freezer, box or can. This post will show my inexperience with cooking terminology.  
Ingredients:
3 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All- Purpose Flour
6 tsp xanthan gum
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp coconut sugar
1 packet yeast
1 cup warm water
Pizza sauce
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) -Thank you Rachel Ray!
Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water with salt and sugar. Let sit for about 10 minutes. When it's foamy, mix in eggs and vinegar.

2. Add in flour and xanthan gum. Mix well. Add in extra flour if needed to keep from being too sticky. Knead well. Cover and let it rise for one hour. Split dough in half and roll into two balls. Cover and let rise another hour.

3. Tear dough balls in half and roll out individually. I found 1/4" thick was perfect. Spread heaping spoonfuls of sauce in the middle of the dough. Top with favorite pizza toppings. Roll from one edge to the other like a burrito. Seal edges by pinching the dough together.

4. Drizzle EVOO on your pizza pan. Coat the dough with oil and then cut diagonal (all one way- ///) vents in the dough only on the top. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and garlic powder over the tops once you have rolled out and stuffed all your pizza rolls.

5. Bake at 425* for 25-30 minutes. I went for the full 30 minutes because I have a tendency to undercook my dough-based meals. The crispy outer layer was fantastic!

This recipe was most definitely a hit! But because of the glycemic index of the bread, I have found safety in only doing a bread substitute once or twice a week. 

1 comment:

  1. My problem is that when I am taking care of myself I try to stay away from flour and yeast too. It makes things a little more complicated. If I ever get around to the sprouted grain breads I will let you know if they work too.

    ReplyDelete