Thursday, June 2, 2011

Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo


Bread and pasta are hands down the hardest thing about going gluten free. Chocolate is easier to walk away  from as it carries a 3 point punch, gluten, soy, and sugar. I tried white rice angel hair pasta a few weeks ago and it was a gooey mess. So I thought I'd give brown rice pasta a try. It was a hit! Capital H. I. T. Perfect texture, and tasty! I even made my own homemade alfredo sauce. I found this recipe from www.allrecipes.com. I didn't have cream, so I was looking for something without it and found this cream cheese based recipe. 
Oh. 
My. 
Tastebuds. 
Rich and oh, so creamy. 
Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 package brown rice fettuccine noodles
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 (8 ounce) whipped cream cheese
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2- 1 lb fresh shrimp

  • Directions:
  • 1. Boil fettuccine noodles with 2 tbsp olive oil for 5 minutes, then cover and let sit for 25 minutes. Rinse with cool water.

  • 2. Melt butter and cream cheese in sauce pan. Whisk until smooth. Add in garlic powder and pepper. Slowly add in milk and keep whisking to prevent lumps. Add in Parmesan cheese. 

  • 3. Shell and devein shrimp. Boil with 2 tbsp of your favorite seafood herb mix. Drain and add to alfredo sauce. Top noodles with alfredo sauce.

  • To add a little zip, my husband loves to add red pepper flakes. And a tiny bit of red chile powder. 

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried Ancient Harvest Quinoa/Corn pasta? It is our FAVORITE, plus has an extra punch of protein from the quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to give that a try! Quinoa is definitely growing on me. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had this for dinner last night and it was awesome. We aren't shrimp people, but used chicken instead and it was good. However, in the future I would only use about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder because it was too much for my family at 2 tsp.

    ReplyDelete