Friday, June 10, 2011

Do You Eat to Live Or Live to Eat?

Since I started this experiment in changing my family's eating habits, I have had the expected ups and downs. The ups are fantastic. To date, I have maintained my clarity and energy. I have lost 14 pounds and 5 inches around my belly. I've lost 2 inches around my waist and hips and 1.5" around my thighs. And it doesn't show signs of stopping. I might finally have a fit and healthy body -soon! The implications of the weight loss and other benefits are what really astound me. My body is healing enough to function properly! I have shed tears of joy at the thought. 

My downs have luckily not been as drastic, but are still difficult. I admit that I am not 100% on the sugar yet. I'm doing my best, but I have figured small treats once a week could be ok. It's the binges that are dangerous. I've only had two since I started, but I felt so drained and sluggish afterwards that they served as good reminders of why I am doing this. I had a hot dog at Target the other day. The pain the next day was excruciating. And it's funny, because it was the same feeling I'd just lived with before, but having been free of it for two months, I was a lot less tolerant of it. 

I've also had a rough time with snacks. I was a snacking fiend before I had my epiphany. Like eat a whole pack of double stuft oreos in a few days snacking fiend. Snacking now without hardly any junk has got me thinking in a new way. Because I don't buy junk food anymore, I'm forced to consider veggies, nuts and fruits (basically everything it's not my natural impulse to reach for), a snack. I did find these awesome gluten free veggie dipping chips at Sam's Club. With my favorite french onion dip, they are incredible. By themselves, not so much. But as I look for an evening snack I'm always reminded of why I am eating. 
 
Our bodies are such precious gifts that God has given us. And they are hardy and delicate at the very same time. They require equilibrium. They require constant care. They house our spirits, who we really are with limitless potential. Is how I am eating helping me reach my potential or holding me back from achieving it?  Am I using and appreciating food as fuel for my body, or am I abusing it and giving in to selfish impulses? My relationship with food and my body is changing, and I have to count my blessings that it is happening now. My self-esteem used to be a lot more dependent on how my body looked. Eating right for my body, eating what it needs and removing what it can't tolerate, has shifted my focus. I feel good about myself because I know I am making good choices. I feel good about myself because I feel so good physically. The weight loss is now a byproduct of the main goal- health! And with three daughters, that is the image of self-esteem I want them to have. I want them to love their bodies and make good choices for their health. I want them to focus on being healthy, not thin. It's a happier way to live. And when you are attractive to yourself, you are attractive to others. 

Food can be a blessing or a curse. We have the power to choose which one it will be for us. Good food, and food that your body can tolerate is the key. Regular, not obsessive, exercise is important, too. If you're like me and snacking is the difficult part, I'm working on it. I'm working on finding good summer snacks and yummy popsicle recipes. So, keep your eyes peeled!

1 comment: