Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Taco Salad


Taco salad. So simple, yet full of pitfalls if you don't pay attention. Did you know that most pre-made taco
seasoning packets have gluten and soy in them? So do some salsas. Chips, it's almost unavoidable unless you make them yourself. Who has time for that? So, here is my rule of thumb. Gluten I avoid 100% where I know it is in something. (I'm still learning what has it and what doesn't.) Sugar I limit as much as humanly possible, but allow small tastes here and there to avoid binges. Soy, I use my discretion. I will eat something with soy twice a week. Which means I have to really be picky about what I'm willing to let slide. If something has all three offenders it is on the "absolutely not, ever" list. Since I seasoned my taco meat with single ingredients, and used soy and gluten free salsa, I'm willing to take the hit on soy for this meal. Herdez salsa is great. We like to drain a little of the juice to make it less runny and more chunky.

EDIT: Target sells tortilla chips that are soy free. Time to stock up. No more limiting how often I have Mexican tortilla chip-based meals. WOOT!


I used ground turkey for my meat and seasoned it with dried chives, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes. And since it is green chile season down here in southern New Mexico, get ready for a lot of Mexican recipes. Coincidentally, I have found that Mexican cuisine is gluten free-friendly as long as you use corn tortillas. Flour tortillas (*sniff*) we have to stay away from.

Anyways, this salad was amazing. Here are my layers:
White corn chips
Chopped lettuce
Ground Turkey
Green chile
Mexican cheese blend
Sour cream
Salsa
White onion
Diced avocado

Next time I think I'll add rice and black olives. Mmm!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I'm going to add it to my list of recipes to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a great GF flour tortilla that is pretty easy to make homemade at http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_flour_tortillas-2577-1.html

    I have other quick and easy recipes at my blog: http://sillyyakwife.blogspot.com
    I look forward to trying out some of your cook-ahead ideas and recipes!

    ReplyDelete